[TR] Transmission internal pressure question

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Sun May 2 08:31:26 MDT 2010

Hi Randall & Ken :

Thanks for the replies. I have been all over the shift tower on my J-type and
my A-type units. I do not see a vent hole. Randall's attached image makes it
seem that the factory simply drilled a hole between the reverse and 3rd/4th
selector rods (leftmost and middle). The placement seems rather specific since
the aluminium is thinner almost everywhere else. I assume the place was chosen
to give a longer pathway to reduce oil slopping out the breather hole.

I am now thinking that when my mechanic made up my transmission, he did so
using a shift tower without a breather.

The cure would then be to pop off the tower and make like a US politician.

Now trying to get maximum detail on placement and routing of hole. (Thanks for
that photo Randall, it gives me placement, but can't tell if it is a simple
vertical hole or something more complex.

Cheers,

Mark