[TR] TR4 rear pinion seal replacement

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Sat May 1 12:45:37 MDT 2010

On 5/1/2010 2:18 PM, Brad Kahler wrote:
> I searched through the factory service manual and it doesn't cover
> replacing the rear pinion seal.  It talks about rebuilding the entire
> diff but not replacement of the seal.
>
> Is there anything special that has to be done to replace the seal or
> can I just remove the nut and flange, replace the seal, reinstall
> flange and then torque the nut?
Brad, replacing the seal isn't a difficult job, just kinda fiddly.  Or
PITA fiddly if the axle is in the car.  The only critical part is upon
reassembly, ensuring that the pinion preload is w/i spec.  I don't know
how accurate this method is, but it's better than nothing: I've read
that counting the number of flats on the pinion nut as you remove it is
a good way to establish the pinion preload upon reassembly.

WRT seal removal, try threading some large (#10 or so) sheet metal
screws into opposite sides of the seal, then lever it out or use a slide
hammer.

If the axle is in the car, may the Force be with you.

jim

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA