[TR] oil seal update needed

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Wed Mar 31 10:12:42 MST 2010

Rebuilt my engine last year adding the new oil seal conversion kit from
Moss.  Using the instructions that came from the kit the crank was properly
turned to 2.504" (specs say 2.500-2.505).  Unfortunately, the re-builder
neglected to drill the additional relief holes and it leaked like a sieve.
Pulled the motor again this winter and we drilled the correct holes,
re-confirmed the crank diameter, position of the seal and confirmed the
spring to be exactly 8" long.

Made the first drive last week of about 20 miles and noticed two small drops
on the ground under the rear of the block, I have not had time to crawl all
over the engine to assure there are no other leaking points from the
re-build but if this is the total of the leak I will learn to live with it,
as do most LBC owners, and not pull the engine again this winter.  I guess I
was just hoping that after the effort and expense of this new seal project
that at least one avenue of oil loss was closed.

To all, have a great and enjoyable spring-summer-fall of LBC driving as I
assuredly plan to myself.  AND, most importantly of all things, be careful
out there!

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L (rolling restoration) www.triumphowners.com/1566