[TR] Coolant Level Question

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Mon Jun 28 19:08:08 MDT 2010

A quart every two days!?!?  That a lot of coolant, is it running out on the
ground or disappearing into the engine.  If you are losing it via the leak
in your radiator that you are planning to fix, this is a good thing as
opposed to a head gasket.

At that level of loss I would recommend that you not drive it until it is
fixed.  However, if you are in a situation that your MUST drive then back
the radiator cap off one notch so there is no pressure in your system.  Of
course, this is not ideal and you should not put any undo stress on the car
while driving this way but I have done it before when I had a pinhole in a
hose and did not want to be stranded.

As to your above or below the head question, I would agree with you in that
if everything is working properly in your system that the flow of coolant
will take care of the head's heat.  You still have to have a full system as
a 'half-full' system will not provide the cooling that a TR3 needs.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS30766L  "Tarbaby"