[TR] What cost to give up your Triumph? (Rhetorical?)

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 17:58:34 MDT 2010

For me, the car is not particularly a hobby, but a solution of sorts.  My commute to work is 45 minutes each way.  I run the welfare programs for the State of New Hampshire, and the stress when caseloads are record highs and the staffing resources haven't been elevated to correspond, can leave that commute a time of depressing reflection on edgy management strategies just to cope.

...Except when I have the top down and am kicking speed to 4 grand rpms in OD on Hwy 93.  This is every day it doesn't rain in New Hampshire during the spring-summer-fall.

Price?  The commute is a sunk-cost, so subtract that much from the cost of driving.  Mileage?  My wife's Highlander gets less than the 25 mpg I get.  The various Toyotas I drive, especially the latest Tacoma, are also higher mpg than the TR3.  Registration and insurancecosts...way lower for an antique automobile since DMV bureaucrats don't know how really hot these cars are!

It may be, too, that some updates to ignition may help mileage.  Pertrinox, hardened valve seats for low-octane unleaded, the right sparkplugs, tuned carbs, etc., may improve the mileage also.

A couple of years ago, I got to drive for a few hundred yards directly under a bald eagle on Route 3A on my way to work.

Just my two cents.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire