[TR] What cost to give up your Triumph? (Rhetorical?)

Nolan opposumking at verizon.net
Fri Jun 25 05:09:48 MDT 2010

> "I've reached a point where I feel it's not only a very
> selfish whim to continue to drive it and enjoy it but that I am finding it
> difficult to reconcile the cost of filling the tank for a weekend of
> pleasure.

And that's it there.  It's not the cost of the gas, per se.  It's the lack
of pleasure.  Or perhaps more accurately the lack of pleasure per cost.
There does come a point where all of us tire of something.  What was a
burning hot passion becomes a much cooler curiosity instead.  This can be
from that MP3 player we just *HAD* to have, that now sits on the shelf, to
the latest Iphone, and even to a Triumph car.  Never a Jaguar of course. :-)

Does gas price affect my driving habits?  Of course.  As does weather and
other things.  When it's 100 degrees outside, I'm far more likely to take an
air conditioned car to the store, and not my Triumph.    When the snow is a
foot deep, the motorcycle stays in the shed.  And if gasoline becomes $10 a
gallon, my truck will not move often.  At $10 a gallon pleasure rides in the
Triumph will be shorter, and less frequent.  That doesn't mean I'm going to
get rid of the car, but it is a weighing factor.

I do tip my hat to the gent for passing on his Triumph to another to enjoy.
Far sadder are the cars that sit, gathering dust and rust, because the owner
refuses to admit they don't enjoy the car any longer.