[TR] What cost to give up your Triumph? (Rhetorical?)

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 18:23:50 MDT 2010

I'm with Wayne and Randall;

I grew up driving pre-war Bentleys and Alvis' (illegally, I might add, but
with my dad's approval). Pre war machinery like that really gets me going
and I  wish so much that I could afford one now. Not to replace the TR, you
understand.

Although I'm in the lower echelons of investment vehicles, I too look at my
 collector vehicles as pieces of art that give me a thrill every time I
walk  past them in the garage or every time I look at a picture of them  on the
wall. People can continue to criticise me for not using them enough to
warrant keeping them, but really (with the exception of my family) they are
what  keeps me happy. I'd be miserable without my TR3A or my nearly
rally-prepped '65  Volvo PV544 Sport. Still, better that the Speed Six-owning chap only
use his car  one or two weekends a year than it finish up in someone's
collection who never  uses it and probably doesn't look at it, might even live
in a different country  from where it's kept. At least by driving it
occasionally, others will get  pleasure from seeing it. I'm not a 'look at me' type
with my cars, but I do like  the fact that both of them put smiles on the
faces of the general public,  as opposed to anger and jealousy that more
exotic modern stuff might generate.  That counts me as being selfless and not
selfish; I can make people happy.

So, perhaps your mate with the Speed Six might like to just consider
himself, as I do, as curator of an astonishing piece of industrial history; I am
sure no-one else would be a better preserver of that wonderful artifact.

Tim Dyer,  Kings Creek Trees and Ornamentals
427 Kings Creek Road, RR3
Ashton, ON K0A  1B0
Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association for
horticulture  professionals), the Canadian Nursery and Landscape Association, the
Ottawa  Botanical Garden Society, the Carleton Place Horticultural Society and
the  Christmas Tree Farmers of Ontario