[TR] What cost to give up your Triumph? (Rhetorical?)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 17:35:50 MDT 2010

> I guess this might seem a stupid question to ask of people in a part of
> the world where fuel is so cheap - but is it safe to assume it will
> always be so?

No, of course not.  IMO higher fuel prices are inevitable, for both
political and physical reasons.  There is a vast new demand coming on-line,
for what is fundamentally a limited resource.  Prices simply have to go up.

> "How high would gas prices have to go in your country
> before you would seriously consider giving up your Triumph?"

To me, it's not really a question of actual price so much as what I can
afford.  If eating beans at home instead of steak at a nice restaurant means
I can keep my Triumph, I probably will do so.

But as yet, I'd have to say that my TR3 compares quite favorably in total
cost of ownership to modern cars that only burn half as much fuel.  The cost
of fuel (at present prices anyway) is overshadowed by purchase price,
depreciation, insurance, maintenance, etc. all of which are lower for the
TR.

Just one example, the battery for a Toyota Prius (which AFAIK is the only
US-legal car rated at near 50 mpg on fossil fuel) runs about $5000.  I paid
$50 for the one in my TR.

-- Randall