[TR] Teflon washers in SU Carbs -The scoop

HANS DEFERRANTE tr3 at roadrunner.com
Fri Jun 18 18:34:05 MDT 2010

Hi Dennis and Randall,

I spoke with Walt from Britalia and this is the scoop and advise I got:
The green  o-rings are not teflon. They are actually made for the air
conditioning  industry and are available from A.C. supply houses. As
far as he is concerned they have no particular advantage over the
neoprene o-rings such as available from Moss or hardware stores.
His recommendation was to polish the brass jet tube with rouge, tooth
paste,  or polishing compound to a gloss and, if necessary, remove
any visible blemishes with a rubbing compound. Lubricate the tube and
washers with a thin layer of synthetic grease before installation.
I followed his advise and used the "Moss" washers and a grease with a
high content of teflon (on the bottom gland washer as well), which
did not to come off with gasoline.  It is a bit early to judge, but
so far it has worked perfectly --- dry as a bone --- and the jet
slides up and down very easily.

Dennis,  -- I have been trying to get a hold of a friend who had an
A.C. business, to find out about those mysterious green washers and
who is also an excellent mechanic. If he thinks it has some merit
I'll get some for you too.

Hans