[TR] '3a Alternator conversion...

David Templeton davidt at opentext.com
Thu Jun 17 10:10:23 MDT 2010

Morning,

After thinking really hard and listening to the conversations back and
forth I can summarize the following.

The generator is fine...
- for a stock or near stock system, with a radio.
- if you don't do much driving at night
- if the electric radiator fan doesn't run after shut down
- if it is fresh, and probably tuned up every couple of years, not from
overuse but more from underuse
- if you don't do a lot of stop ( engine off ) and go, especially with a
stock starter
- if you don't have oodles of other electrical accessories ( iPods, cell
phones, laptops, gps units, subwoofer, 1000w amp )

In the worse case where you have stops, drive at night with the Lucas
flamethrowers, use a radio, get caught in a little rain, the electric
fan comes one due to the heat of the summer, bumper to bumper
traffic.... Well you are soon toast and hoping your wonderful wife paid
the CAA premiums to get the boost to get home LOL.  Yes being completely
sarcastic at this point, but it looks like I am going to start laying
out the plans to first convert to -ve ground and then switch over to the
alternator.  A million thanks for the resource links for brackets and
pulley sources so far, that is making the task easier.  My "supply guy"
has sourced a denso 3 wire GM alternator that puts out 66amps, unlike
the one in my pickup that cranks 140amps that would cook my wires!

I will be making write-up for this as this progresses over the next
couple of weeks.  But here is the shopping list I have so far:

- 1 denso alternator ( part number coming )
- 1 wide belt pulley
- 1 bracket adaption "thingy", yet to be designed for this project
- 1 pigtail connector for the alternator

Did I miss anything?  :-D

David Templeton
'59TR3a
'74Spitsix