[TR] Leaking TR3 Engine Front Plate

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Mon Jun 14 14:13:51 MDT 2010

     My TR3 is leaking oil out the bottom of the front plate. When I rebuilt
the engine I re-used the factory bolts with the captive star lock washers and
evidently they worked loose. Re- tightening them down didn't fix the leak so I
guess that the Permatex and gasket have given out. I am at the initial phases
of determining how and when I am going to get to this.
     Can I pull the snout of the TR and rebuilt this with the engine in the
car? I could hold the engine up with a floor jack when I take off the engine
mounts and front plate.
     The engine didn't leak a drop for the first 6 or 8,000 miles. I think
that next time I fix this I will use new grade 8 bolts and lock washers, and
maybe Loctite Blue.
     Anyone have any temporary fixes to try? I was thinking of loosening
existing front plate bolts, prying the front plate off the block a little bit,
washing out the Permatex and gasket with spray disk brake cleaner, gooping in
lots of Permatex and then re-tightening it all down with new bolts and lock
washers.
     Anyone else been to this spot?

     Bill in Tehachapi.