[TR] Electrical diagnosis: Update

KingsCreekTrees at aol.com KingsCreekTrees at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 13:31:16 MDT 2010

Hi Alan;

I'm sorry, it appears I forgot to mention that I checked the levels in the
battery last night and they were all fine, then I trickle charged it over
night.  I took the Volvo battery off the TR this morning and replaced it with
the TR's  battery. I was very careful about connecting it securely. I was
back to square  one again with a dimly-glowing ignition light, and an
inability to crank the  engine when the starter button was pressed. I put the Volvo
battery straight  back in, and it's fine now.

So, it all points to the battery, I agree. My concern, now dissipated, was
that I was not aware that batteries could discharge so suddenly (i.e., from
full  charge, cranking an engine over properly, to suddenly nothing). In
addition, I  saw 12V on the battery and thought everything was fine with it,
forgetting  that's without load.

Because we live way out in the boonies, I won't have the opportunity to get
 the battery load tested for some time, probably after the Mosport Vintage
Racing  Festival this weekend. I'll let everyone know what the final outcome
is,  though.

Many thanks to everyone;

Tim