[TR] UK Cottages & Villages (was Re: A milestone)

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jun 14 11:19:47 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/14/2010 11:14:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk writes:
> We Brits don't
> drive *on* a lane - like on a highway. You drive *up* it or *down* it.
> There's
> even more confusion here too. You can drive *down the lane* when it's
> going
> uphill, or *up the lane* when it's going downhill.

We're not so much different, you and we.  We use "down" in a similar vein
as in:

Traveler: "Can you tell me where I can find the Smith's farm?"

And it doesn't matter whether the road goes up, down, north, south or
nowhere, it's down the road.

We also talk about going DOWN town.  And we talk about going UP town.
Neither one refers to the relative elevation of the designated venue.

So the concept of driving up or down a lane is not so foreign to us.  But
thank you for the explanation as to which term refers to the coming and going
of the situation.

Just my tuppence worth.

Cheers

Dave