[TR] Electrical diagnosis: Update

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Mon Jun 14 09:21:54 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/14/2010 9:15:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
KingsCreekTrees at aol.com writes:
> Both batteries show 12V, which suggests to me that the TR's battery is
> not faulty. This leads me to start thinking that wherever the bad connection
> is, corrected itself a couple of times, coincidentally when I fitted the
> Volvo battery.

Bad assumption.  The battery is actually a collection of six cells.  It
sounds like one cell or the interconnection has gone bad.  This is not all that
uncommon.  A friend of mine in the car business once told me that more
batteries fail in hot weather than in cold - and they fail more suddenly.

So let me recap: with the Volvo battery the car cranks fine but with the
Triumph battery it doesn't?  Sounds like a bad battery to me.  Take it
somewhere and have ti tested under load and I'll bet it fails.

An open circuit test doesn't tell all the story.

Cheers

Dave