[TR] Fw: Now I'm confused

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jun 13 13:21:56 MDT 2010

> Seems to me my feelings of some years back are being
> confirmed. There's a (an
> emerging?) market for Standard-Triumph rocker shafts that are properly
> machined with the lube holes in the right places and, more
> importantly,
> heat-treated to the correct level of hardness which was 58
> Rockwell.

Well, I have a rocker shaft in my TR3 likely from the same rebuilder that
Gary got his from.  I did not have it tested for hardness, but a file just
skipped over the surface so I think it's hard enough.  I've forgotten
offhand just how long it ran every day in my TR3A, maybe only 5 or 6 years,
but it lasted longer than the head I originally put it on, and was in good
enough condition that I moved it to the 'new' TR3 rather than pulling a
spare (from the same source) off the shelf.

The oil holes are not only in the same location as original (opposite the
weep holes in the rockers), but also have the tiny relief ground in the
shaft to distribute the oil sideways through the rocker bushing (as
original).

They did put one of the rockers on wrong (easily corrected), and the shaft
was just the least little bit too long (making it difficult to install one
end cap), but overall I am very pleased with quality, service and price (a
rare combination).  I only wish that all our parts could be so good.

Just for comparison, I fitted a "rebuilt" alternator to the wife's Toyota a
few years ago; which had to be replaced 5 times in the following 6 months!
Two different shops and myself could not find anything else wrong; and the
last time I just unbolted the old one and bolted on the new one.  Since it
is now 2 years old and still going, I have to think the first 4 were
defective.

Randall