[TR] TR4 Tire Size and Commission Plate Questions

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 12 17:45:13 MDT 2010

> I'm just curious, is it against the law to have an exact copy
> of your original
> commission plate made during a restoration?

I think the answer is "Not necessarily".  States may have their own laws,
but the federal law allows the owner of the vehicle or someone authorized by
the owner of the vehicle to restore or replace the plate.
http://law.onecle.com/uscode/18/511.html

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that means the person offering the service
could be criminally liable if it turns out that he was not working for the
owner of the car.  ISTR there was a case in the news some years ago, about
some men that were convicted of simply possessing and selling the special
rosette rivets used on later American cars.  They weren't actually involved
in car theft (as I recall), but did time just for selling the rivets.

Randall