[TR] lift-a-dot

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 15:46:13 MDT 2010

> The question is, is it possible to install new Lift-A-Dot fasteners
> without spending $75 for the installation tool?

Definitely.  And I'm sure you'll get lots of methods.

Mine is to choose where I want the fastener, by pushing the vinyl over the
peg and placing the bottom plate over the bump (on the wrong side of the
top).  I then hold the plate in place with one hand while I slide a piece of
cardboard underneath, and poke through each of the slots with a sharp X-acto
knife.  The tiny slits are nearly invisible, so a mistake at this point is
no big deal, just move to the correct position and don't worry about the
abandoned slit.

Now force the prongs of the top plate through the slits.  It may take some
pressure with fingernails right next to the slit to force the prong through,
as it has to spread and enlarge the slit.  Then put the bottom plate in
place, and crimp the prongs.  Finally, I use the X-acto knife to trim away
the vinyl through the center hole in the bottom plate.

Crude, but works for me.

-- Randall