[TR] Installation of a spin on oil filter adapter

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jul 30 16:23:48 MDT 2010

>  I purchased a spin on oil adapter for my TR3. It is to go
> onto the Puralator
> filter head. I applied gasket sealer along with the sealing
> ring thinking I
> would avoid having a leak. I have a leak between the old
> filter head and
> machined aluminum  adapter...  I am in need of advice and direction...

Check that there is not another gasket lurking in the groove in the filter
head.  It's very common to find two of them in there already, especially if
it has always tended to leak.  Clean the groove thoroughly, until you can
see nice, shiny metal at the bottom.  Also inspect the sealing surface of
the adapter, to be sure it's perfectly smooth and round.  And of course you
should be using a new sealing ring.

If that doesn't do it, check to be sure the adapter isn't bottoming out
against the center portion of the original filter head.  I've heard reports
that some of them are too short.

Randall