[TR] TR4 Valve cover vent

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:21:04 MDT 2010

Hi all

Thanks to much help from this list, the rebuilt engine with Webers is
running strong. A question remains as to what to do with the venting gases
from the valve cover. The Stromberg carb setup, of course, recycled them
back into the air cleaners. When I got this car, the p.o. had a stainless
braid hose dangling down and behind the carbs.

As a start, I have a hose connected to a tap in the intake manifold, but
since that is behind one carb that is surely unbalancing the cards and
screwing up the mixture. I have thought of replacing this late tr4 cover
with the earlier style that has a large rear vertical exhaust pipe with some
sort of filter on top. But this is a less green solution than a recycle.

OTOH, I'm already less green since I installed the early style crankcase
vent down pipe to relieve crankcase pressure and hopefully thereby to reduce
the dreaded driveway drip. That does seem to have helped.

Any suggestions?

John Howard
TR4 runner
Stag still in boxes