[TR] TR Engine Blocks

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 09:36:27 MDT 2010

Hi, Bill

Sorry but can't answer that query on piston size as I don't and
never have owned
a TR that required such an engine rebuild.
If it's any help,
which I know it isn't :) I did rebuild my Ferguson tractor
engine with 2138
sleeves and pistons and they were a matching set. Must admit I
was concerned
about conrod suitability but it just bolted straight up and I had
an
immediate increase of cubic capacity from 1850 to 2138cc. From a performance
angle, I can tell you that once we'd done a break-in by ploughing quite a
large
field which took a week of my leisure time, I could do 15 amps on the
level
(instead of downhill as previously) and with a rebuilt hydraulic pump,
I could
easily lift six full churns of milk on the rear linkage instead of
four.
But, I have to remember that such esoteric recollections don't really
apply to
sports cars with basically the same engine - though you certainly
can't pull
five tons of hay on a trailer with any TR fro 20TS to a TR8 which
I personally
feel is rather a shame.

Jonmac