[TR] TR4 brake drum problem

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 18 06:33:13 MDT 2010

> One thing I did notice is there were two different lengths of flat
> head screws that hold the drums in place during assembly.  A couple
> were about 1/8" longer than the other two.  Each side of the car had
> one longer screw.

At least at one time, correct replacement screws were not available.  My TR3
has several that are longer than original, just because I didn't cut them
quite right.

> The only thing I can think of is the brake drums had to have come from
> some other Triumph car, like possibly a Mayflower.

Or one of the IRS TR4A-6.  Although some replacement drums apparently have
the larger holes (allowing them to fit both solid axle & IRS cars), the
original IRS drums had smaller stud holes (as the IRS hubs use ordinary
knurled studs without the shoulder).

> If someone could take some measurements of a TR3/4 brake drum that
> would help a lot.

Sorry I can't do that at the moment, I'm some 2500 miles away from my TR.
But your measurements sound at least close to right; I'm pretty sure you've
just got IRS drums.

Randall