[TR] TR4 brake drum problem

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Sat Jul 17 11:44:29 MDT 2010

Searching the archive:  (sorry for the blank email)
Re: Alfin drums - TR3 application
from [R John Lye] [Permanent Link][Original]

To:  rgs03 at health.state.ny.us, Triumph owners list <triumphs at autox.team.net>

Subject:  Re: Alfin drums - TR3 application
From:  R John Lye <rjl6n at uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date:  Fri, 25 Oct 96 10:21:49 EDT

On Oct 25,  9:07am, rgs03 at health.state.ny.us wrote:

> I've heard this as well. I was told that it was the TR6 that the 240Z
> drums fit. May be the TR3 also, which would mean they would fit a bunch
> of TRs. I have a '71 240Z and even have a spare (brand new) aluminum
> drum for it. If there's enough interest I could go to the garage and
> do a test fit.

I've got a set sitting on my shelf, so you don't need to do it.
HTe 240-Z drums will fit TR's with 9" rear brakes.  This includes
most TR-4's, 250's and 6's and some TR-3's  TR-2 and some TR-3's
had 10" rear drums.  The Datsun aluminum drums need to have the
center hole enlarged a bit, but the bolt pattern is the same.  If
you want to retain those little drum hold-down screws, the holes
for them will need to be drilled and countersunk as well.  The
backing plates of some brakes will foul the inner edge of the
drum, so the drum may need to be trimmed there, too.  Test this
first, though, as they don't always need to be trimmed.

later,

John Lye

rjl6n at virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm