[TR] TR4A questions

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 13 16:37:33 MDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:41:01 pm don wrote:
> >I recently purchased a TR4A.  Although I've had a lot of British
> >cars, I haven't had but two TRs, and they were TR8s.
>
> My car needs a new windshield gasket- best supplier for this?  Best
> to have it professionally installed?  I have not attempted this type
> of repair since I broke the windshield I tried to install on my '57
> English Ford Zodiac back in 1966.
>
> The original white convertible top is a bit tatty.  I'd like to
> either get it repaired or find a top that is identical to what I
> believe is the factory one on the car.  Any suggestions?
>
> Some of the wiring under the bonnet has been redone by others.  I
> believe that the cars had blue tape wrapped around the wiring to
> consolidate the wires where they were bundled together.  Is there a
> source for this tape?
>
> The windlace on the driver's door opening has suffered from some
> wear.  What is a source for this that is like the original?  The
> passenger side is still intact, so would prefer to find matching
> windlace rather than replace both sides.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me!
>
> Don Scott
> Calistoga CA

Don,

Not much help on the top but I sourced both new windshield glass and the
rubber gaskets from TRF for both my 4 and 6. I then took the glass, gasket and
the plastic chrome piece to my local auto class shop and they installed them
for about 80$ each. You can do the install yourself but when I tried it I
cracked the glass. For me it is something best left for the experts.

For my 4 I was able to get a NOS AMCO top on ebay for about 100$. The seller
said it was about 10 years old but it was NIB and he was right and the fit was
perfect. I think I did see a white 4A one on ebay a few weeks ago for about
250

Bob