[TR] Lucas Mast... other, Changed to Bugs Encountered

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 14:52:17 MDT 2010

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:38:02 +0000 (UTC)
From: terryrs at comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Question on installing a Delco 7127 style alternator
    on a TR4A

Just quick couple of things I learned along the way on this.  ...

Has anyone ever put together a list of the more common bugs they encountered
after putting their restoration on the road?
-Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
Hi List!
I kept every thing the way it was when I did my restoration, because I wanted
to remember all the 'experiences'  that I had before I took the car off the
road, some 22 yr. earlier.

Well one of the experiences that I had I had forgotten was the issues of the
engine turning over.

In the 22 yr. of living, I did pick up some general info.

The one that I did remember to help me out of this 'experience' was that: the
larger the diameter of the wire, then the easier the current can flow.

I changed ALL the large battery cables & starter soliond cables to the largest
I could find. the (-) earth cable is 0 gauge, the (+) power cable& solenoid
cable is 1 gauge made out of the same wire. I then purchased the two different
ends & soldered them to the ends of the cable to to the length that I desired.
Starting is never a problem anymore unless I let the battery drain to low to
get the motor to turn over once (about 1l V , as the gauge reads).

-Cosmo Kramer