[TR] Question on installing a Delco 7127 style alternator on a TR4A

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 07:38:02 MDT 2010

Just quick couple of things I learned along the way on this.  It's critical to get the pulleys lined up just right and to stabilize the bottom bolt, or else the top bracket will vibrate and crack through.  I destroyed two before I got it right.

I seem to recall that there were a couple of wiring options.  The one I chose involved buying about three feet of heavy guage power wire to run to the solenoid.  Apparently these come in "big" strand and "little" strand.  The big strand version broke a couple of times at the alternator connector due to vibration.  The little strand version has worked great for two season of daily driving.

That, by the way, is just another reminder of the kind of bugs that restorations innately encounter, and why buying a "restored" car at top dollar might be a frustration, unless from one of those top quality groups who participate here on the List.

Has anyone ever put together a list of the more common bugs they encountered after putting their restoration on the road?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire