[TR] TR3 Tank mounting

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Jul 8 21:32:58 MDT 2010

In a message dated 7/8/2010 6:59:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> >This was discussed a couple years back.  What was the concessus on
> >cushioning material for mounting the gas tank in a TR3?
> >Something that would not
> >wick up water and stay wet.
>
> Personally, I still think the original wool felt works as well as
> anything.
> The tank will always sweat a little under certain conditions, and the
> porous
> wool lets the moisture evaporate.  Plus the natural lanolin acts to repel
> water to some extent.
>
> I have had TR3 tanks rust out, but the rust has always been from the
> inside,
> and not associated with where it sits on the pads.  Don't have a photo
> handy, but the tank in my wrecked TR3 still looks like new where I put
> felt
> in, some 20 years ago now.  The felt is still in good condition, as well.

I wonder if the desert climate helps.  Living here in the midwest with 36
inches of annual rain fall may yeild different results.  Nonetheless, how is
the felt arranged (it's been that long since I took the car apart and I
forget)?

Thanks.

Dave