[TR] To feed or not to feed

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Sat Jul 3 21:11:10 MDT 2010

Hi Tim:

I agree, the engine should be stationary; just not the valves...

Seriously, with a bit of practice one can get a surprisingly accurate valve
setup with a 1/2" wrench, flat screwdriver and a stethoscope. No tapping = too
tight, pounding/clacking = too loose. You put the tip of the stethoscope probe
on the drilled hole at the centre of each rocker while adjusting each valve
warm. Tricky with two hands, a cinch with three. I've never had the same
results with a cold engine and feeler gauges.

I recall adjusting something on the the timing on a friend's X-19 engine while
it was driving. That's a mid-engine setup. There is a sort of hatch behind the
right-hand seat. So one could actually stick hands and head into engine
compartment while the car was moving. It wasn't so easy, as he kept revving
the engine and belting around corners and over bumps. At the end the car was
driving great; I wasn't doing so well though.

It's fun to fix things while they work. A little noise and parts whirling
about close to the fingers adds to the sense of the moment.

Cheers,

Mark