[TR] To feed or not to feed

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 17:27:41 MDT 2010

> So, I am guessing the solution is either to install valve
> stem seals, or to
> dump the oiling feed. Is there concensus/opinion on the list
> as to which way is best?

I don't know if it is the consensus, but my very definite opinion is to dump
the external feed!

I tried all the other approaches on a TR3 motor (nearly identical to the TR6
in this area), the final result was a broken piston.
http://tinyurl.com/25l899z

This was with both seals AND a restrictor installed (one of the seals came
apart).

Note that the rockers don't need very much oil (just as the original system
supplies).  As long as they get a few drops now and again, more oil won't
make them last any longer.  It is worthwhile checking every few years (maybe
every other time you adjust the valves) that oil is still slowly getting to
them.  If not, you can pull and clean the rocker shaft.  Excess sludge in
the shaft is the usual cause of lack of oil (although in my case, it
appeared that someone had installed the cam bearing wrong).

Randall