[TR] lending cars?

John Macartney macartney.john at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 3 14:36:37 MDT 2010

Geo Hahn wrote:
>But the thought of handing the keys to a non-TR owner or,
worse yet,
>to someone who will drive it w/o me is just unthinkable.

And
I feel that's exactly what Joe Pawlak was thinking about this time last year
when he handed me the keys to "uncle jack" at Daytona Beach for the Triumph
Trans-AmeriCan Charity Drive. Specifically, while the car was titled in Joe's
name, it technically belonged to the many incredible people on this list who
so generously donated so much money to buy it in the first place. But Joe and
his team put in more than 14,000 documented hours in creating a brand new Stag
and I think they're all entitled to a degree of ownership? Is that why Ted
Schumacher so justly awarded Joe Pawlak the annual Sweat/Equity Award?
But is
lending the car just a worry for the owner? Probably, but it shouldn't be!
When I accepted "uncle jack's" keys from Joe, having already seen the car and
driven it before the start, I was equally terrified of it getting damaged
while in my custody and I had many not very good night's worrying about "what
if's" while "uj" was under my responsibility. I hope I treated "him"
considerately and I like to think I did because the car won the VTR Stag
Concours after 15,000 miles in a tad over 3 months - and that VTR accolade was
given after only vacuuming the interior and giving the car a good wash.
What
think you Phil Ethier, now that "uncle jack" is yours?

Jonmac