[TR] Drooping Front Scuttle on my TR3A

Rick chandler.rick at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 14:11:09 MST 2010

The passenger side of my TR3A front scuttle is drooping and interfering with
the top forward edge of the door. I saw this problem when I was assembling
the rebuilt body panels 2 years ago, and I applied some upward brute force
to the scuttle to obtain clearance with the passenger side door. At the
time, I had a 1/8" gap between the two pieces and was a happy guy. Today,
after all body work and painting is complete, the gap has disappeared and
paint is chipping at the interface. The car has less than 500 miles on it,
none of it with a passenger, so I doubt that this new problem resulted from
pressing down on the scuttle on entering or leaving the passenger seat. At
the moment I'm using a small jack between the floor and the scuttle to raise
the scuttle a bit, but I'm not sure how far I should go. The idea here is to
permanently bend the scuttle upwards, which will likely take a momentary gap
of, say, 3/8". Is my thinking straight on this?

Rick in Seattle

1960 Triumph TR3A

 1970 BSA 441 Victor Special

 1972 Norton 750 Commando Combat