[TR] waterless coolant

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Mon Jan 18 00:10:06 MST 2010

Don wrote:
> Speaking of Nitrogen, Shell is marketing nitrogen enriched gasoline.
> Anyone know what the supposed advantage is?
>

> I thought nitrogen was inert.

Nope, nitrogen is not inert.  It forms covalent bonds with other
elements (the "nitrate" in sodium nitrate is, for example, is nitrogen
bonding covalently with oxygen to form the nitrate radical NO3-.

As for Shell's formulation, from what I read, it's just a higher level
of detergent than is typical, and is specifically meant to reduce carbon
deposits.

Only way to know if it works is to run it for an extended period against
some known standard and measure the difference in carbon accumulation.
The "nitrogen-enriched" business sounds like marketing razzmatazz.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....