[TR] wire wheel advice needed

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 23 15:10:03 MST 2010

> I was also concerned that the 185 tires might
> be too wide for the handling with the worm and peg steering.

Depends a lot more on the tire, it's inflation, and the condition of your
steering box; than the tire width, IMO.  I've been running 205 tires on 5.5"
TR6 rims for quite a few years now, and I like them.  But rebuilding the box
did make a world of difference in the steering on my TR3A.  I don't have the
TR3 setup just right yet, but it's still quite drivable with the 205s, IMO.

Wire wheels do _require_ periodic maintenance, in particular you should
remove them from the car at least once a year to clean and relubricate the
splines and threads.  I neglected that task on my Stag (which got new Dayton
wire wheels in 2003) and the shop almost couldn't get one of them off again
to replace the tire.  While they off, you should also check for loose or
broken spokes ... One of the brand new Daytons broke several spokes within
the first year (repaired under warranty but still cost me for shipping,
mounting & balancing).

-- Randall