[TR] Tr timing chain

carlsereda carlsereda at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 12:58:38 MST 2010

Years ago I bought a TR4 timing chain from eBay because it came in an AE
branded box. When I received chain I saw that every link is stamped AE. I
assume (perhaps incorrectly) AE is the same company with the great reputation
as the AE Hepolite 87mm piston and liner business. The chain looks great, has
no clip opening as originals but has not been fitted yet.

I see British Parts Northwest is selling this AE timing chain too. I think
they have high standards in general - they also offer a TR 'timing gears &
chain set' manufactured in Germany.

Speaking of timing parts.. does anyone know Rockwell hardness of the TR crank
'timing gear'? I bought a supposedly NOS crank timing gear that goes thud
instead of ting (although it looks official). I have a feeling it's 'NORS' or
'NOS from Triumph's declining years' - perhaps made from crummy steel or just
not hardened..

Is there a Rockwell hardness number I should have this TR crank gear tested
for?

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74