[TR] electrical outlet on a TR3A

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Thu Feb 11 10:10:55 MST 2010

> should the central touch point at the back of the socket or
> the walls of the socket get the hot wire???  I am assuming
> for electronics like a GPS it would make a difference.

They key question, as you rightly surmised, is "What polarity do the accessories using the plug expect?"

They expect + on the central tip.  Unless your car is + ground you should attach the central tip wire to either a wire always powered or one that is switched through the accessories or ignition circuit.  The choice depends on how you want it to behave when you turn the ignition key.

If your car is + ground you'll have to reverse the wiring, chassis ground to the central tip and powered wire to the plug's side.  Make sure the plug's side doesn't touch the chassis ground or you'll create a short.

The only exception to this would be for old cig-lighter-plug accessories intended for a + ground car.  I believe GPS didn't exist back then...  And of course incandescent lights don't care but LED's do.
--
Jim Muller, having powered all sorts of things this way in the GT6, including a refrigerator