[TR] u-joint

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Dec 31 14:06:27 MST 2010

In a message dated 12/31/2010 2:58:23 PM Central Standard Time,
spamiam at comcast.net writes:
> They can be a bugger to get apart.  The corrosion prevents the caps from
> moving.  As a previous reply said, clean the corrosion so the cap will
> slide.  The instructions say that gentle tapping is all that is necessary
> get the caps to move.  Well, it usually takes a BFH.  You need to be aware
>
> that wailing on the U-joint may well bend the yoke(s) and make the holes
> for
> the caps no longer perfectly aligned.

I prefer to use an hydraulic press.  Failing that a vice will do.  Select a
couple sockets, one that is slightly smaller than the cap to pressthe T
through the yoke and  another large enough to accept the other cap  to back up
the other side of the yoke.

But whether you use a vice or a press, great care must be taken as either
one can apply enough force to deform or break the yoke.  Use good judgement
and if things don't move with a reasonable amount of force stop and check out
the situation.  Things may not be stright or rust or some other unwanted
substance (like a C-ring) may be causing problems.

But after the last time I did this and had to take them back apart because
one of the rollers fell out of place I decided to take my driveshafts to
experts and have them done.  Saves me the agrivation.

Dave