[TR] Tr4 Electric Radiator Fan

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 18:30:11 MST 2010

> I wanted to remove the existing TR6 plastic fan as well as
> the extension so
> I could put the fan behind the radiator, so the fan pulls but
> that seems
> like a silly idea so I will put it in front of the radiator.
> I want to take the existing fan off to save a few horse
> power. What's is
> your opinion?

That is the way I went, although it was the stock fan I removed.  Can't
really say I noticed the difference in power, but it's bound to improve fuel
mileage a bit.

I'm running a 12" Hayden fan, mounted as a puller.  Previous experience
indicates that having the fan in front will impede natural "ram" airflow to
some small extent, which was enough to cause the gauge to read higher at
speed on my Stag.  But the difference is small, so go with whatever suits
you.

Note that after removing the extension, it is important to clamp the
remaining hub firmly to the end of the crankshaft.  On one of my engines, a
simple heavy flat washer (and shorter bolt of course) appeared to work but
apparently pulled up against the end of the crank instead of the hub; and
over the course of several years allowed the hub to work back and forth
against the key until it tore up the key, hub and crank.  There are pieces
available commercially to solve this problem, but I did not know that at the
time, so I made up a spacer from a cast iron pipe cap that would fit over
the crank nose and clamp only against the hub.

-- Randall