[TR] head gasket

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 15 00:08:03 MST 2010

> do people use any type of dressing on the head gasket or just
> put them on dry
> and tighten?

My experience has been that dressing doesn't seem to help; so now I just put
them in dry.  Make sure the liners are high enough on both sides, or it
won't hold whether you use dressing or not.

However, the book says to use Wellseal (which was available from TRF last
time I checked) or equivalent.  I believe Permatex #3 should be an adequate
equivalent.

Of course pull down the nuts in stages, following the pattern in the book.
After bringing the engine up to temperature once and letting it cool, I like
to loosen each nut just a bit and retorque.  Some folks say to do this while
the engine is still hot, which probably works just as well.

-- Randall