[TR] Help needed starting a dormant engine

Frank - Sandy Crowe thecrowes at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 13:48:59 MST 2010

I might suggest something I did on my Swallow Doretti whos engine was free, but had not run in 27 years.  I built a small pressure tank with a valve and pressure gauge and a schrader valve to pressurize it.  Remove you oil pressure sender, fill the tank half full of oil, pressurize, then attach to the engine.  This way you can pre-pressurize the engine before even turning it over and blow out all the old oil in the system.  Then change the oil and filter, pre-lube the rings through the spark plug holes, remove the valve cover and pour oil over the valve train.  Now you can have oil pressure even before you turn the engine by hand.  When all it well, pre-lube it and hit the starter.  With a gauge on the line, you can make sure your oil pump is working.  When ready, prime the carbs, put the plugs back in, pre-lube it again, and hit the starter.  Having the engine all primed with fresh oil under pressure should really help it survive better when it comes to life for the first time.

Frank
TS55223L and Doretti 1020 (TR engine)