[TR] Help needed starting a dormant engine

Ben Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 15:17:10 MST 2010

Steve,

I'd try it without the rebuild, but treat it like a fresh rebuild when
starting it.  I assume all hoses, belts, etc have been replaced,
ignition parts are all fresh and set properly.  Check valve lash.  I'd
put in all fresh fluids with some ZDDP added to the oil.  I always like
to pressure test the cooling system for leaks before a first start -
avoids surprises, but not essential.  Remove plugs, put a couple squirts
of motor oil in each cylinder.  With plugs still out, crank until you
get oil pressure.  Might want to have fuel to carbs disconnected at this
point to avoid flooding if you end doing extended cranking.  Of course,
extended cranking without oil pressure is a sign of a problem.  Usually
doesn't take much more than a couple normal-length cranks to build
pressure.  Put plugs back in and start it up.

I resurrected a 73 Midget that had been sitting for 20 years.  I rebuilt
the engine, but all I did to the tranny (no O/D) and differential was
inspect, install new gaskets and change the fluids.  No problems.  I
also stored a newly rebuilt TR4A engine for 20 years with assembly lube
but no fluids.  Did what I described above and had no problems.  YMMV.

Ben.....

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler at gmail.com
Columbus, IN