[TR] Help needed starting a dormant engine

Steve Thornton sothornton at stevethorntonlaw.com
Sun Dec 12 13:31:45 MST 2010

 Hello list-

I need the collective wisdom of this list.

I have a 63 Mk II Jaguar that I love. Over the past decade I have been
doing an amateur restoration on it after a light engine fire. By TR
standards, I have spent a lot of money refurbishing the interior, wood,
paint and changing disc to wire wheels. The car is not really that
valuable I realize, but I just like Mk II's.

Here is my question- after the fire I pulled the engine and attached it
to a stand. I cosmetically restored the head and block to the correct
color. It freely turns, but has been sitting for 10 years. The engine
ran well when pulled. What should I do to the engine before reinstalling
it? Am I crazy for not having it rebuilt? Does anyone know of a reliable
and good Jaguar rebuilder close to Kentucky?

I have the same issue with the overdrive tranny. It ran well when
pulled. Should I send it off for inspection and a rebuild?

Many thanks in advance for your input. Although I don't post often, I
have considered this list invaluable over the years and thanks to Mark
for all of his efforts for keeping it going.

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY

1968 Triumph TR 250
1963 Jaguar Mk II