[TR] stator tube and control head TR3

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 12 11:11:52 MST 2010

On Sunday, December 12, 2010 01:01:55 pm Frank Fisher wrote:
> rebuilt a control head yesterday.
> the chrome turn lever does not want to stay in the turn position. instead
> it clicks back to the off position. any thoughts ?
Frank,

It has been awhile since I did that job. I am guessing those ring springs are
not installed correctly.

> also the little grub screws that go through the steering wheel are just to
> stop the control head from pulling out? they don't hold anything?

There should be 3 and they hold the ring that is attached to the stator tube.
Also assist in the canceling mechanism.

> the control head is held captive from turning by the nut and olive at the
> steering box? yes?
Yes, but the ring mentioned above also prevents the stator tube from turning.
The nut and olive also prevent oil from leaking out of the steering box.

> so in effect the stator tube is a torsion bar. for what minimal friction
> there is? yes?
No, there is no tension on the tube.

Bob