[TR] Replacing TR6 Door Glass

G.D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Sun Dec 5 08:06:08 MST 2010

Sorry to hear that.

However, your timing is excellent, as I just restored the doors on my TR4A, so this is fresh on my mind.

You have some trade-offs.

Option 1 - Take glass out of metal base.  Fit new piece of glass through upper door seals, and into metal base.  If you go this route, you may not be able to exert enough force to get the glass to seat into the base using the glazing strip that goes between them.  However, with a glazing piece of the right thickness, you might get this to work fine.  Too thick a piece, and forget it.  But try this first.

Option 2 - Remove the metal base from the door.  Also remove the two top door seals.  Place the new glass into the metal base with glazing strip on the workbench.  Because it is out of the door, you'll be able to exert enough force to get it to seat very tight, using a thicker glazing strip.  Then, place it into the door allowing it to fall all the way to the bottom of the door.  DO NOT place it in the regulator yet. (You may have to loosen the window track pieces to pull this off.)  With the glass resting in the door, refit the door seals.  Then get the glass up through the seals, back into the tracks, back into the regulator.

Both options revolve around the glazing strip of choice.  You can use a thinner piece and have a decent seat, but not really "tight", and avoid a lot of work.  Or, use a thicker piece, have a tight seal, and do a lot of extra work, because the metal base will not fit back into the door with the upper seals in place.

Hope this helps.