[TR] Top Gear Reliant Robin

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Wed Dec 1 07:47:46 MST 2010

Back in the 60s, when I was still a schoolboy in England, one of my friends
had a Bond Mark C:

http://home.clara.net/peterfrost/bond.html

Bond were later to make the Equipe, which we are all familiar with.  The
Bond had a 200 cc Villiers motorcycle engine mounted as a unit with the
front wheel, which could turn through a 180 degree arc.  To start the
engine, he had to lift the bonnet and put his foot inside the engine
compartment to operate the kick start!

As Brian pointed out, license grades were very specific.  You could drive a
three-wheeler with a motorcycle license, which made these cars very popular
in the 50s and 60s.  They may even have paid motorcyle road tax, which would
have been quite a savings in those days.  I remember the tax discs for my
cars back then as being about 10 GBP, which was about a week's wages for me.

Another interesting license wrinkle was that you could not drive a
motorcycle greater than 250 cc if you were under 17, unless the bike was
equipped with a sidecar.  This led to a bunch of 16 year old Rockers on my
housing estate buying older 500s and 650s and fitting them with a sidecar
chassis upon which a very small box was mounted, to meet the letter of the
law.

Fun days in retrospect...

Mike
Plainfield, IL