[TR] Steering failure drama

Ed Poplawski popnglo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:09:44 MDT 2010

It all started with some play in the steering between 5 o'clock and 7 on the
wheel.
Doing about 40 MPH it became no response at all, the steering wheel just
spun without any control. Luckily, no oncoming traffic and I ended up on the
wrong side of the road on the shoulder ... safely.
2 weeks ago I took it for a 300 mile trip, at considerably higher MPH, would
have been a different story, I'm sure.

I had it flatbedded to my garage and will start investigating, but I got an
addition I've been working on that will take up my time, in the short term
I'll be studying the manuals. Right now I can spin the wheel, but its like
its not connected to anything. I can see the shaft spin before it enters the
column of the steering box.
Any suggestions?!?!?!

To quote Ken Richardson, "I have seen the color of adreniline and it is
brown."

Ed (58 TR3A - Hudson Valley NY)