[TR] Overdrives...

Sandra and Trevor Hardy t.s.hardy at clear.net.nz
Thu Aug 26 15:22:39 MDT 2010

Hiu Listers....My two cents worth regarding overdrives.......First started
when mid-seventies I purchased a '73 Triumph 2.5TC saloon for the purposes of
towing a caravan. This car waas fitted with OD. What a great idea! Hardly used
it, except 3rd OD when towing, but when without the caravan.....all the time.
I bought a 70 MGBGT with OD. Took a while to get used to the idea of the
switch on the right hand corner of the dash, but eventually got there. As for
the TR....it was advertised without OD, but before I had even seen the car, I
had an OD box for it. Came across a reconditioned unit being sold by an ex-
British Leyland guy now living here in NZ, and who has found a niche
overhauling these units. He even had a gear lever with the switch on top.
These are a much better idea I feel, and can provide the driver with many
oportunities.
            What surprised me was that there was no need to  alter the drive
shaft! Good thinking on some engineers part there! Anyway, it's fitted, wired
in and goes like an OD unit should. I merely lift my foor of the go pedal when
engaging OD, the same procedure I used on my TC, which gave totally worry-free
motoring for around 13 years. The only problem I ever had was a broken wire on
the lock-out switch. If anybody wants details of the guy, let me
know.....Cheers....Trev. Hardy,  65 TR4A (Non IRS), 70 MGBGT, 25 Chrysler
Brougham.   Feilding , New Zealand