[TR] Leaking Push Rod Tubes on TR4A engine?

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Thu Aug 19 20:29:44 MDT 2010

On 8/18/2010 9:59 PM, Ben Zwissler wrote:
> I've got about 700 miles on my TR4A after its rebuild.  I've been
> tracking down some oil leaks and it seems I've got oil leaking from
> the push rod tubes in the head.  I reached that conclusion after
> installing one of Justin Wagner's silicon valve cover gaskets and
> degreasing the head.   Oil reappeared only around the pushrod tubes.
> Anyone have experience with this?  I had the head gone over by a
> machine shop - new valve guides, valve job, etc.  They cleaned it, but
> did not hot tank it due to a prior experience with the tubes
> dissolving.  When reassembling I did not add any sealant specifically
> on the tubes.  Overall, the engine's not a horrible leaker but I'd
> like it to be better.
>
> Thanks for any advice.  Ben.....

Ben, I think Jack Drews, of FoT fame, did a write up years ago about
this problem.  He tried a number of solutions, including applying
locktite stud sealer at the head/tube interface on the outside.  I think
he mentioned that some folks have applied a bead of J.B. Weld (or
similar) around the tubes on the inside of the head.  Try searching
Tony's site (www. tonydrews.com).

hth

--
Jim Hassall