[TR] Tr3a starters

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 19 18:17:05 MDT 2010

> on occasion it does seem to
> start turning then it is like the solenoid pulls the gear off the
> flywheel. I know it isn't that type of starter but it sounds like it :-)
and it
> spins free.

That's just the nature of Bendix starter drives, IMO.  If one cylinder
fires, it kicks the starter "out of gear", even if the next cylinder doesn't
make it.  You then have to back off the button and wait for the starter
motor to quit spinning before hitting the button again.  This is even
mentioned in the handbook (although not very clearly).

I'd forgotten that ... very frustrating if only one cylinder wants to run!
(Typically in cold weather or when the engine is overdue for a tune-up.)
But it happened to me occasionally even in warm weather and a freshly tuned
engine.

-- Randall