[TR] Tr3a starters

tfansher at comcast.net tfansher at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 14:17:48 MDT 2010

I've rebuilt two TR3's in the past couple of years and have updated to the gear reduction starter in both.
I bought from a private party and had to buy another so I can't comment on good vendors. Moss has one but there are others. There's one difference I'm not sure about. The TR3 and early TR4's had a "pull to engage" starter where the drive "pulls back into the ring gear" and there is a bevel in the ring gear so that the starter engages easily. Both my reduction gear starters are "push out to engage" the ring gear so I removed and flipped over the ring gear so that there was no potential for binding/grinding. Actually, in the "new 3" when we installed the OD tranny, I took the opportunity to install a lightened flywheel which had the bevel for a push drive and so I installed the extra reduction gear starter rather than redo the ring gear (and I had it on the shelf).
I don't think that this has been discussed before and maybe it's not a problem, but I'd hate for you to find out the hard way that it doesn't work like you'd want it to.
Also, my buddy and most knowledgeable friend, thinks that removing the starter and taking it apart and REALLY blowing it out helps it turn faster. He thinks that 50 years or so of carbon dust from the brushes floating around and sticking to various surfaces in the starter motor causes it to turn more slowly.
So, I'd probably say if it's not broke, it starts well, etc. etc. etc. why try something new.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Tom Fansher
60 TR3A
61 TR3A
62 TR4
73 Stag

While I am into minor "modernizing" of the '3a I am thinking about the
starter, never had a problem with the stock and still great, but I have read
about the modern gear reduction ones being better etc.

So, who is a good vendor? What is a good price? Anyone have horror stories to
avoid?