[TR] TR] TR4 horn wiring

Brad Kahler brad.kahler at 141.com
Wed Aug 18 05:39:45 MDT 2010

David, thanks for the reply.

Definitely an interesting solution to the problem for the wires on the
column!

I don't have a problem with the spring loaded plunger.  Actually I
probably have a half dozen of those things laying around.

On the 63 Spitfire that I used to have I vaguely remember a ground
wire that went from the rack to the frame but then the Spitfire had
rubber isolation mounts.  The TR4 uses solid aluminum blocks so I
don't think I need to ground the rack.

The Moss TR6 catalog doesn't show a ground wire from the lower
steering knuckle to the rack itself so I'm assuming there is nothing
there.

One thing I forgot to try was grounding the shaft where it comes out
of the firewall to ensure that my problem isn't in the slip ring area.

Brad

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:21 AM, David Brister <david.brister at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:
> I posted thi s a few years ago but here it is again in case it's any help
> anyone.
> FWIW my horn works as well as ever.
>
> "I put up with this problem for a few years but after adopting the
following
> rather inelegant solution about 20 years ago the horns have worked
perfectly
> ever since.
> First I made a new plunger thingy. Took the carbon rod from a dry battery
> which fitted well into the barrel of an old pen of correct diameter.  Took
> very light compression spring, same one from the old ballpoint, I think.
Cut