[TR] TR4 horn wiring

Brad Kahler brad.kahler at 141.com
Tue Aug 17 20:26:19 MDT 2010

I need some help sorting out the wiring used on the steering column
for the horn on my 63 TR4.  The PO modified the lower joint by
removing the rubber joint and converting it to the solid TR6 style.
The upper joint is still the rubber joint.  The grounding wire that
ties the upper column to the lower column through the rubber joint is
installed.  There is no problem with the horn button or the spring
loaded plunger.

What I think is missing is some sort of grounding wire from the
steering column to the rack and then from the rack to the frame.  This
TR4 does have the solid aluminum mounts so I don't know that it would
need a ground wire from the rack to the frame.  I'm not sure I see a
need for a ground wire on the lower metal u-joint that ties the lower
column to the steering rack.

The problem is I don't seem to be getting a good ground from the
button to the frame.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  I've installed a horn relay and wired it
the same as a TR4A so the horn button is only providing the ground for
the horn relay and not the horns themselves.

So what am I missing?

Thanks!

Brad
1963 TR4